Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dorothy June Lieske Helton

The anecdotes/stories that will be posted were written by my Mother, Dorothy June Lieske Helton. If Mother was still living, our family would have been celebrating her 80th birthday today. Mother known to many around our community as June or MaMa June was an unforgettable woman. I miss her every single day since her death on April 20, 2004. Her death left a huge hole in my heart which is still mending day by day. Every day I wish I could hear the telephone ring with Mother's beautiful voice on the other end telling me about her day, what she had to eat and checking on her chicks if the weather was bad. My brothers and I were truly blessed to have such wonderful loving parents. Our Dad worked hard to provide for us and Mother gave us unconditional love. It is through both of them that my brothers and I have been able to reach the top of our professional fields and have strength of character and love for others. Both of my parents had a hard childhood in that Dad's mother died when he was five and my grandfather did not feel that he could raise Dad and his sister so he asked his brother and his wife to raise them with their six children. Mother's mother died when she was nine years old, in fact she and her siblings found her dead at the bottom of the porch steps when they returned from school. My grandfather was loving and did the best he could with eight children and gave my Mother such strength and love but she still missed her Mother's love. How lucky I have been to experience such unconditional love from my Mother in that "I could do no wrong in my Mother's eyes and heart." Ma Ma June's loving daughter, Diana

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Diana, simply beautiful. What a wonderful way to share memories of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful, heartfelt story! I look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, that was so interesting to read. She was some writer. I also loved your comments.
    Vicki Andrews

    ReplyDelete